Sunday, April 19, 2009

Session 3: Wikis

I was familiar with the concept of a wiki but wasn't aware about the techniques of writing or editing on wikipedia. e.g. How to make the text bold or in italics, superscripts and subscripts etc. Now I do. I can see the value of a wiki for writing academic papers in which colleagues are needed for a collaboratively-produced article. Of course it's also good for the reasons as outlined in the videos, such as compiling a camping list or possible locations for a trip. I haven't set up my own wiki yet but I think I know how to do this now using Wetpaint or one of the other free wikis as suggested.

1 comment:

  1. Well done. To answer your question posted on the Emerging Media wiki - Most wikis keep a record of changes made to wiki pages; often every version of the page is stored. This means that authors can revert to an older version of the page, should it be necessary because a mistake has been made or the page has been vandalized.

    ReplyDelete